As with all things, time takes its toll and this month will see the Highland Creek Legion (RCL Branch 258) close its doors on Lawson Road.
Scarborough Fire Fighters held their monthly meetings there for many years along with the annual Christmas party. Many important discussions took place at the meetings and over a pint afterward!
The history of the Legion goes back to when it was known as the T. Hebert Lennox Branch of the British Empire Service League. The Original Charter was granted on May 18, 1934, with George Lomas being the first President. Original Charter members were J. Fleury, D. Forgie, A.J. Gillard, W.R. Jenkins, J.F. Keeler, G. Lomas, H. Legard, G.A. Martin, A. McAskill, E. McInally, J.H. Moon, J.S. Schofield, J. Smyth, S. Wake, R.B Wells, and R.H. Wright.
The property located at 45 Lawson Road was acquired around 1946 and construction of the first building was located closer to Lawson Road in what is known as the north parking lot today. A second floor was added in 1947. A fire in 1976 led way to the construction of the building which sits there today, it opened in May 1981.
As this chapter on Lawson Road comes to an end a new one will begin come September with the Legion opening at a new location at 305 Morrish Road. Keep an eye on the Legion 258 website for details.